Published in the August 12, 2015 editionWPDbadge-web

REVERE (AP) — A 34-year-old man who authorities say went on an unprovoked rampage against police officers after he was stopped in a construction zone pleaded not guilty Tuesday to multiple counts of assault and battery on a police officer.
Joseph Parker, 34, who has a Charles Street address in Wakefield as well as one in Malden, assaulted seven officers in all, sending one to a hospital with a concussion and another to a hospital with a leg injury, prosecutors said at his arraignment in Chelsea District Court.
Prosecutors said Parker was asked to slow down at the work site on Revere Beach Parkway shortly after midnight Tuesday morning and climbed out of his car, swore at officers and referenced events in Ferguson, Mo. He punched one officer, who was left briefly unconscious when his head hit the ground, authorities said.
He scuffled with several other officers at the work site and later at the police station, where he also damaged department equipment, prosecutors said.
His attorney, Dan Fitzgerald, said his client does not have a violent history and his behavior may have been influenced by medication he was taking.
Parker, who in his booking photo is shirtless and saluting the camera, was restrained at the work site with a stun gun and with the help of two passengers in his vehicle.
“He was combative at the scene,” Revere Police Officer Dennis Hickey Jr. said. “When we arrived it was very hard to get him into the cruiser.”
Parker then allegedly attacked the officers who attempted to arrest him and three more officers as he was booked at the Revere police station.
“At times he was very compliant with us,” Hickey said. “And he was actually quite cordial and then at other times he would fly off the handle.”
Parker appeared to be under the influence of drugs, getting out of his car yelling, “(expletive) you cops with your guns,” making references to events in Ferguson, Mo., according to the police report.
The officer who suffered a concussion and one officer injured at the police station were taken to Massachusetts General Hospital. Both are expected to recover.
Parker was charged with assault and battery, assault and battery on a police officer, malicious destruction of property, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. He was held on $25,000 bail.
Parker’s attorney said his client may have been on a medication that caused his behavior.
“These medications may be doing bad things to him and that is what (relatives and friends) are concerned about,” said attorney Dan Fitzgerald.
He will return to court on Sept. 15.
Parker reportedly just finished serving a seven- to eight-year prison sentence for a cocaine-trafficking conviction.
— Information from the Associated Press and other news outlets were used in this report.