Published in the January 26, 2016 edition.
WAKEFIELD — A 23-year-old Reading woman was injured yesterday morning in a two-car crash at about 10:40 on North Avenue near the Lakeside Office Park.
Police said that a 2012 Chevrolet driven by a 31-year-old Salem, N.H. man was traveling south on North Avenue when a 2005 BMW operated by the Reading woman attempted to enter North Avenue from the office park and hit the Chevy.
The woman was cited for failure to use caution when entering an intersection. She was taken to Melrose-Wakefield Hospital with minor injuries. Her car was towed from the scene.
There were no injuries after a 2004 Toyota driven by a 17-year-old female from Wakefield reportedly rear-ended a 2003 Chevrolet driven by a 58-year-old Wakefield man on Water Street yesterday afternoon.
Police said that the Chevy was headed south on Water Street and was yielding to oncoming traffic while waiting to turn left onto Preston Street. According to police, the Toyota was traveling at a high rate of speed and hit the rear of the Chevy.
The driver of the Toyota was cited for speeding. No injuries were reported.
At about 4:45 p.m., two men were reported to be going door to door in the area of Cutter Street and North Avenue. Police spoke to the men who agreed to cease activity for the day and to seek solicitors’ licenses today.
At about 5:15 p.m. yesterday, a caller reported youths skating on Lake Quannapowitt. The skaters agreed to get off the ice when advised to do so by police.
The Fire Department responded to 16 calls yesterday, 10 of which were for medical aid.
At 11:45 a.m. yesterday firefighters were called to Wakefield Memorial High School as a precaution to investigate possible hazardous gases related to a sewer leak. Firefighters detected no hazardous gases present.
At about 5 p.m., the Fire Department was called to Rte. 128 southbound near Exit 40 on a report of a car fire. Firefighters checked the area and located two disabled vehicles but no fire.
At 8:45 p.m., firefighters went to a Parker Road home to investigate an odor of smoke. The odor was traced to a melted utensil in the dishwasher.
At 12:15 a.m. today, firefighters went to a Traverse Street home on an issue related to a defective carbon monoxide detector.