WAKEFIELD — A fire that got its start in a clothes dryer Sunday morning caused a heavy smoke condition to a home in Greenwood, displacing four family members.

After the Fire Department received a 911 call at 9 a.m. Sunday about a heavy smoke condition inside a ranch home at 7 Kingmont St. in Greenwood, firefighters arrived and found that a dryer in a stacked unit had caught fire.

Though the fire was contained to the dryer, heavy smoke damage to the kitchen and other areas of the home was severe enough that it forced homeowners Timothy and Amy High and their two children to find alternate housing, said Fire Chief Michael Sullivan.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and vented the home.

Responding to the fire were Capt. Joseph Riley; Lts. John Mercurio, Phil Preston and Chris Smith and Firefighters Marnie Sheeran, Dan Hancock, Erik Cole, Nathan Bleu, Ken Lyons and William Carr. Apparatus included Engines 1 and 2 and Ladder 1.

“Fortunately, a smoke detector alerted the family to the fire,” said Sullivan. “Everyone worked hard to get the situation under control.”

Sullivan noted that a mechanical failure in the dryer may have caused the fire.

The Stoneham Fire Department covered Wakefield headquarters for about 90 minutes. The Wakefield fire crew returned to the station at about 10:30 a.m.


The Fire Department received a total of 30 calls over the weekend, including the call about the dryer fire.

On Friday, a crew went to 602 Main St. at 2:30 p.m. for a motor vehicle lockout.

On Saturday, firefighters went to 386 Main St. at 7:10 a.m. and 15 Lilah Cir. at 9:20 a.m. for motor vehicle lockouts and 7 Lee St. at 9:30 p.m. for an outside burning complaint. The fire was extinguished.

On Sunday, a crew went to 283 Albion St. at 4 a.m. for a heating system malfunction that caused a smoke condition, 70 Nahant St. at 1:10 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. for an outside burning complaint, 30 Converse St. (McCarthy Senior Center) at 6:45 p.m. and 5 Bluejay Cir. at 8 p.m. for fire alarm system malfunctions.