Published in the August 4, 2017 edition.

MELROSE — Police recently dealt with everything from motor vehicle accidents to a nasty little neighborhood dispute on Howard Street.

Also, on Monday, July 31, police arrested an 18 year old Someville man who apparently struck a Lynde Street father in the head with an aluminum baseball bat.

According to police, they were called around 12:10 a.m. and told of a fight in the street near the corner of Summer Street. Apparently, a girl had a few friends over and her father asked that they leave. She became angry with her father, and one of the friends got into a physical altercation with him. Another of the friends reportedly struck the father in the head with a bat.

John Bears-Sheehan, 66 Jacques St., Somerville will be charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.


On Monday, July 24, police went to Melrose-Wakefield Hospital around 8:27 a.m. where staff found contraband on a woman who had overdosed on drugs.

Also on July 24, around 11:15 a.m., a Messenger Court woman told police someone tried to scam her.

A two vehicle accident was investigated at the intersection of Green Street and the Lynn Fells Parkway around 3:25 p.m. July 24. Police said a chair lift van rear ended a motor vehicle stopped at the light. Both vehicles were on the Parkway heading west.

An iPhone was reported stolen from the cafeteria at Melrose-Wakefield Hospital around 8:25 p.m. July 24.


Following are examples of other calls police answered between Tuesday, July 25, and Sunday, July 30.


A caller stated that youths in a motor vehicle were causing a disturbance around 3 a.m. on East Foster Street.

The son of a Warwick Road resident reported around 11:05 a.m. that a chimney/gutter cleaning contractor was at the home and he didn’t want him there. Police went to the scene and said all was quiet.

Someone complained about marijuana being smoked at the playground on Felton Place around 11:45 a.m. Police sent the smokers on their way.

Two females were reportedly fighting at the Melrose Shell on Main Street around 11:55 a.m. Police said there was no problem between the two when a patrolman arrived.

After exhausting all efforts to locate the owners, three cell phones turned into police were handed over to Hopeline Phones around 12:35 p.m., where the devices are cleared of all data and given to domestic violence victims in case they need to call for help.

A tree company was reportedly taking up an entire section of Tappan Street around 1 p.m.

At 4:30 p.m. a loose Rottweiler was reported walking unleashed at the intersection of Franklin and Belmont streets. Police were unable to locate the animal.

At 5:50 p.m. a West Wyoming Avenue resident reported medical insurance fraud.

Saugus Police reported around 10:20 p.m. that a large group of youths was drinking in the woods on the Melrose-Saugus line near Mt. Hood Golf Course. Police responded, found a small group of teens in the area and observed no alcohol.



A tractor trailer was having trouble turning in the West Wyoming Avenue-Pleasant Street area around 6:25 a.m.

Dogs were barking loudly on Cleveland Street around 6:45 a.m.

A caller reported that a man in hospital clothes was walking down Main Street around 8:05 a.m. Police took him home to Stoneham.

A 32-year-old Malden man will be summoned to court for assaulting another who was working at the Melrose-Wakefield Hospital. The suspect was brought to the emergency room by Malden Police around 11 a.m. he punched the victim in the head as he looked at his phone. The victim had to be admitted to the hospital to be treated for his injuries.

Police spoke to the owner of a vehicle that had a dog inside and the windows barely open when it was in the Whole Foods parking lot around 12:25 p.m.

A motor vehicle accident on West Wyoming Avenue around 12:40 p.m. led the drivers to get into a verbal argument.

A tree was down on some power lines on Ryder Avenue around 3:40 p.m. National Grid and firefighters were called in.

A wire was reported down at the corner of Main Street and West Wyoming Avenue around 4 p.m. and power was out. Police deployed portable stop signs at the busy intersection.

Youths were reported in the yard of the Winthrop School around 6:15 p.m.


An employee of Dunkin’ Donuts at 470 Lynn Fells Parkway reported being assaulted by an African American man who apparently became angry around 4:30 a.m. when he was told the eatery wasn’t open yet. He reportedly grabbed the woman’s right wrist and twisted it when she wouldn’t let him past the front door.

A woman kept nodding off at a table in Brueggers Bagels on Main Street around 7:25 a.m. and a manager told police appeared sick. The Fire Department’s ambulance was sent to the scene; the woman refused to go to the hospital.

Someone was reportedly sleeping on a bench at the corner of Sixth and East Foster streets around 12:20 p.m. When police arrived, they learned he was reading his Bible.

A large sinkhole was reported near 80 Grove St. around 8 p.m. The DPW was contacted.


Illegal trash dumping was reported on Penney Road around 10:15 a.m.

At 12:46 p.m. police were told of a possible neighborhood dispute on Howard Street. A resident called an said that a package had been delivered to his home the day before and now it was covered with flies at the front door. The resident took the package around to the rear of his house and opened it, finding several small bags containing canine fecal matter. Police asked the man if he had a dog; he said yes, but that he always picks up after it.


Youths were reportedly driving down Melrose Street around 12:55 a.m. in a golf cart taken from the Bellevue Country Club.

Vandalism was reported around 10 a.m. on Hesseltine Avenue.

A youth fell riding his bicycle at the Veterans Memorial Middle School around 5:40 p.m.

A woman was reportedly screaming for help on Forest Street around 11:20 p.m. Police said they located a woman and a man, and they said they would be leaving the area.


An owner said his vehicle was entered while parked at Mount Hood Golf Course and his wallet containing credit cards was stolen. He reported the incident just before 10 a.m.

Someone found a needle on a wall in the 200 block of Main Street around 10 a.m.