MELROSE — Police dealt with a couple more drug overdoses last week, made a heroin possession arrest, investigated some motor vehicle break-ins and responded to the usual wide variety of calls for assistance.

On Friday and Saturday, March 6 and 7, police were able to revive a woman and a man who had overdosed on drugs in separate incidents. On March 6 at 5:50 p.m. officers received a 911 call reporting a drug overdose. Police arrived and found an unconscious woman. Using Narcan, a substance carried for these types of situations, police revived the woman. She was then taken to the hospital.

On March 7, just after 6:10 p.m.,police went to a Lynn Fells Parkway home after a 911 caller reported an unconscious man there. Police again used Narcan to revive the man, who was also then taken to the hospital.


On Thursday, March 5, police went to the intersection of Summer Street and Mystic Avenue after being told around 2:40 p.m. that two men sitting in a vehicle were using drugs.

When an officer arrived, he reportedly saw one of the men injecting heroin into his arm. The officer also saw other evidence of drug use and as a result arrested 29-year-old Jon Kathe, 40 Lowell Rd., Concord, for possession of a Class A drug (subsequent offense) and conspiracy to violate the drug law.


Two customers’ vehicles parked at the Tremont Street Garage were reportedly entered sometime before 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, March 3. Police said a handicap parking placard was missing from one vehicle and a ring was missing from the other.


On March 6 at 12:01 a.m., police began investigating an alleged assault in the parking lot of the Richdale store on West Wyoming Avenue.

The victim told police that as he exited the store two men were standing beside his car. One made a comment to the victim, who kept going and got into his vehicle. Then the man attempted to pull the victim’s driver’s side door open, yelling for him to “get out and fight.” The victim was able to pull his door shut and as he pulled away in his vehicle one of the men struck it.


Following is a look at some of the other calls handled by police.


• Police were told at 10:32 a.m. that someone was on private property in the 900 block of Main Street looking through trash in a Dumpster. Police said they found no one in the area when they arrived.

• At 4:22 p.m. police went to the Whole Foods parking lot after being told of drug activity there. Police could not locate any drug users upon arrival.


• Police went to the intersection of Summer Street and Mystic Avenue after being told around 3:20 p.m. that a vehicle was parked in a driveway and the occupants were “doing something with needles.” Police checked the area and could not find the vehicle described to them by the caller.

• Police investigated a possible house break on First Street around 4:20 p.m.

• A Perkins Street homeowner told police his house was flooding around 7:20 p.m.


• Gates were stuck down at the MBTA commuter rail crossing on Franklin Street around 1 p.m.

• The DPW was notified after police were told of an icy sidewalk on Warwick Road around 3 p.m.

• A cell phone was reported stolen from an apartment in Oak Grove Village at 7:58 p.m.

• A caller reported a fight among a group of youths near the corner of West Foster and Cottage streets around 9 p.m. Police responded and found no one in the area.


• A sick opossum was reported on Lebanon Street around 6:45 a.m. Police sent the animal on its way.

• Two vehicles were ticketed for parking on Albion Street around 9:20 a.m.

• A child was reported locked in a motor vehicle in the 500 block of Main Street just before 11 a.m. A local tow company helped the parent get back into the car.

• A citizen fell on Main Street at the East Wyoming Avenue intersection around 2 p.m. and was taken by ambulance to the hospital.

• At 9:06 p.m. police were told two adults in a pickup truck were smoking marijuana in the 600 block of Main Street. The men were gone when police arrived.


• Police helped return a loose dog to its owner on Boston Rock Road around 8:15 a.m.

• Non-threatening graffiti was found in the third floor boys’ bathroom at Melrose High around 8:20 a.m.