THE LHS field hockey team lines up for the National Anthem before their state quarterfinal game at Manchester-Essex on Saturday. The No. 2 Hornets edged the No. 7 Pioneers 1-0. (LHS Field Hockey Photo)



MANCHESTER-BY-THE-SEA — A solid postseason run came to an end for the Lynnfield High field hockey team last Saturday afternoon as they were edged, 1-0, by host Manchester-Essex in the Division 4 quarterfinals.

With that defeat, the seventh-seeded Pioneers ended the 2021 season at 9-7-5. The second-seeded Hornets, meanwhile, improved to 16-4-1 as they faced Uxbridge in the state semifinals on Tuesday night at Watertown High (results not available at press time).

The lone tally came at the 2:38 mark of the third quarter off a corner. Ella Chafe tipped home a shot by Amy Vytopilova that changed the direction of the ball into the Pioneer net.

With 2:04 remaining in the third, a lightning delay caused a one hour-and-10 minute delay.

When play returned, the Pioneers played their best field hockey of the day as they were able to flip the field for a while. However, they were only able to muster two shots on goal while the others went wide as the hosts were able to sustain the shutout the rest of the way.

Hornet goalie Paige Galitz made two saves to post the shutout while Pioneer goalie Charlotte Radulski had eight saves.

Manchester-Essex had eight corners while the Pioneers only had one.


CAPTAIN JACQUI CARBONE scored Lynnfield’s third goal in a 4-1 victory over Georgetown in the D4 Round of 16 at LHS on Nov. 10. (Dan Pawlowski Photo)


This was the second meeting between the schools as the Hornets won the regular-season match-up 4-0 at home back on Oct. 22.

In the round of 16 game on Nov. 10, the Pioneers rolled over visiting Georgetown by a final of 4-1. Lynnfield went 2-0 against the Royals this fall as they won the other meeting 2-0 back on Sept. 30 in Georgetown.

With the loss, the 10th-seeded Royals ended the year at 8-10-2.

With a little over a minute left in the second quarter, Georgia Milne scored the game’s first goal assisted by Julia Carbone to send the locals to the half up 1-0.

Midway through the third quarter, Anna Kaminski made it 2-0.

Three minutes later, Jacqui Carbone had the team’s third goal off a corner.

Georgetown cut the lead to two late in the third as Ella Tucker scored but Kaminski netted her second tally of the day midway through the fourth to close the door.

Radulski made four saves in net.