WAKEFIELD — A worker at Lakeside Cemetery on North Avenue called police yesterday after discovering that 36 aluminum grave edge markers had been stolen from plot locations in the cemetery.

Each marker, described as 6-inch discs, was valued at $4 for a total loss of $144.

The incident was logged just after 8 a.m. Patrol Officer John Whaley responded.


Officer Whaley also went to a business in Lakeside Office Park on North Avenue at noon after receiving a complaint about an ongoing battle among employees at several different businesses over parking spaces. Police are looking into the matter and are trying to resolve it.


In other police business on Wednesday:

• A caller reported that an injured bald eagle was in the breakdown lane on Rte. 128 heading northbound. State Police were notified.

• A caller reported a collision at the Rte. 129 rotary just after 5 p.m. One vehicle was towed. There were no reported injuries.

• A caller reported a collision on Hanson Street when a driver struck a light pole. The Fire Department and Action Ambulance also responded. The Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department was notified at about 10 p.m.

Patrol Officer Meaghan Leary responded.


Police business on Tuesday:

• A caller reported that a turkey was on a neighbor’s front steps on Hickory Hill Road and it was not moving. Animal Control Officer Ken Stache was contacted at about 8 a.m.

• A caller reported that a pit bull was attacking others dogs on Warren Avenue. Stache was notified at about 2:15 p.m.

• A Bellevue Avenue resident reported fraud by check at about 2:30 p.m.

• Suspicious activity involving two people inside a vehicle at the intersection of Bartley and Nelly streets was reported just after 3 p.m. Police checked the area but the vehicle was not located.

• A trespassing incident was reported at about 5 p.m. on Mansion Road.

• A Rockland Street resident called police when she observed youths throwing rocks at her house. Police resolved the matter at about 7 p.m.


The Fire Department responded to 12 calls Tuesday, six for medical aid.

Firefighters went to 24 Gould St. at 1:15 p.m. for a house lockout, 979 Main St. (Greenwood House of Pizza) at 1:45 p.m. for a fire alarm set off by burned food, 11 Sherman Rd. at 3 p.m. for a gas odor inside a home traced to a stove and 29 Albion St. at 5:15 p.m. for a carbon monoxide detector activation set off by an oil burner. The burner was shut down.

Wednesday morning, a crew went to 4 Mackenzie Ln. at 3 for a carbon monoxide detector malfunction and 49 Water St. at 9 for a fire alarm set off by burned food.