Recent action against rivals drew stalemates

Published in the September 15, 2017 edition

MELROSE Red Raider soccer drew a tie against Woburn, 3-3, on Tuesday at home. Pictured is senior Pete Weisen. (file photo)


MELROSE—The Melrose High school boys soccer team faced off against the Woburn Tanners for a 3-3 tie on Tuesday, September 12 at the West Knoll in Melrose. The Melrose soccer team is fresh off of a playoff run last year and have several players back this year for the 2017 season. Tuesday’s game came on the heels of the team’s 1-1 tie against Arlington on Sept. 8.

On Tuesday, Melrose started off with several battles for possession and back and forth action culminating with Melrose’s Tarekegn O’Neill sending an excellent pass over to Thomas Michaels, who broke free of containment and sent the ball whizzing past the Woburn goalie for Melrose’s first score. The Tanners would answer back, however, less than ten minutes later, sending a PK sailing into the Melrose goal for the tying score.

With the score at 1-1 and the first half winding down, Melrose’s Shea Champagne took matters into his own hands and blasted a shot past the Woburn net minder from outside the goal area for the go-ahead score. Melrose was in the lead at 2-1  but less than 25 seconds later, the Woburn squad was able to answer with a goal of their own, tying the score once again and bringing the game to 2-2 at the half.

The Red Raiders came out buzzing after the half, attacking the ball, moving it well and forcing the Woburn defense on their toes with misdirection. Melrose’s Tarekegn O’Neill set up a nice scoring chance with an absolute boot from behind midfield, the ball landing exactly in front of Melrose’s Peter Wiesen who took a shot with a header that nearly went in. After this chance, Melrose goalie Jared Dowell faced off against a Woburn PK. As the kick left the Woburn players foot it sailed toward the lower left corner of the net, while the Melrose goalkeeper made a spectacular dive, saving the shot with a fingertip deflection and keeping Melrose in the game. Meanwhile Melrose’s David Kurti set plays up left and right in the right spot to keep the ball moving for the team.

With fourteen minutes left in the game Melrose’s Miguel Contreras sent the ball sailing from the corner flag, perfectly landing in front of the left goalpost and Sava Vlajkovic, who shot it towards the opposite corner, where it banged off the right post and in for Melrose’s third goal. But once again, just four minutes later Woburn was able to answer, and sunk one into the Melrose net for the tying goal.

The last ten minutes wound down scoreless, leaving the final message on the game clock— Melrose 3, Woburn 3. Melrose will look to pick up a solid “w” when they travel to Wilmington on Thursday (post deadline) and will battle Malden in Mayor Cup action at Pine Banks on Saturday at 11:00 a.m.