NORTH READING — The Fire Department has the following safety tips for local residents to safely get through this month’s record–breaking snow storms:
1. Clear gas meters, air intakes and air exhausts of accumulated ice and snow.
2. Clear a three foot radius around hydrants near your home.
3. There is a serious danger of collapse resulting from children building snow caves or igloos.
4. Make sure secondary exits at your home or business are shoveled and accessible.
5. If your carbon monoxide detector activates call the fire department immediately.
6. If possible protect gas meters from falling ice.