Published in the October 4, 2018 edition.

WAKEFIELD — Four doses of Narcan were needed to revive a 53-year-old local man after he was found unconscious in the rest room at McDonald’s on Main Street at about 8:15 yesterday morning.

Police arrived to find the man passed out with a syringe next to him on the floor of the bathroom. The man, known to police as a local homeless man, did not appear to be breathing. After the Fire Department and Action Ambulance arrived on scene, four doses of the opiate reversing drug Narcan were administered and the man regained consciousness. He told first responders that he thought that he was shooting heroin but believed that it may have actually been fentanyl.

The man was taken by ambulance to Melrose-Wakefield Hospital.


At about 8:30 a.m. yesterday, police responded to a minor two-car crash at Water and Farm streets.

According to police, a 2015 Mercedes Benz Sprint was traveling west on Water Street and was slowing to turn left onto Farm Street when it was rear-ended by a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer. The driver of the Mitsubishi said that he didn’t see the Mercedes slowing to make the turn. There were no injuries and no citations.


At about 2:15 p.m. yesterday, police took a report of vandalism to a motor vehicle on Galvin Circle.


Police sent a group of individuals on their way at about 4:15 p.m. yesterday after receiving a report that they sitting on a public bench on Main Street and making lewd remarks to women entering a downtown business.


A 56-year-old Lynn man was arrested for his second drunk driving offense at about 11 o’clock last night after police stopped his car on Lowell Street near Wharton Park.

Police said that Officer John Whaley was in his cruiser traveling south on Salem Street when he observed a gray Toyota Tundra in front of him swerving across the double yellow lines. By the time the vehicle reached Lowell Street, according to Officer Whaley’s report, the car was driving down the center of the street.

Whaley pulled the car over near Wharton Park. While speaking with the driver, Whaley detected an odor of alcohol and observed that the driver’s eyes were glassy and his speech was slow and slurred. The man told Whaley that he had had two drinks and was heading home to Lynn, although he was traveling in the opposite direction.

Michael J. Reardon of 46 Rand St. in Lynn, refused to take a field sobriety test and was placed under arrest for operating under the influence of alcohol (second offense). He was also charge with a marked lanes violation.


The Fire Department responded to 16 calls yesterday, including nine for medical aid. The non-medical calls included an apartment lockout, an outside odor of gas, and several alarm system malfunctions.