WAKEFIELD — A broken 8-inch water pipe on Heather Lane, near Mackenzie Lane, brought out crews from the Fire and Water departments last night at about 9:15 p.m.
Fire Chief Michael Sullivan said the water main break was significant and caused a water problem at 21 Mackenzie Ln. Police were also at the scene and remained until the problem was resolved.
Another water problem at 53 Albion St. was reported at 11 p.m. Chief Sullivan said water, caused by an ice dam, damaged a fire alarm panel .
Other weather-related issues were reported at 27 Humphrey St. where a front door was frozen shut. Another homeowner on Mackenzie Lane had the same problem.
A resident of 14 Catalpa St. called the Fire Department about a gas leak caused by snow falling and hitting a gas meter.
The depth of snow in some backyards has been reported as between 5 and 6 feet. Snowbanks are as high as between 8 and 10 feet, making it difficult for drivers to navigate the roadways.
Chief Sullivan is again asking that residents clear hydrants, some of which are now buried under mountains of snow.
Altogether, the Fire Department responded to 25 calls yesterday. Eight of these were for medical aid.
In the police log, it was reported that a 16-year-old girl missing last week from a group home on Lafayette Street has been located.
Taylor Fielding, 16, a Wilmington resident who was recently placed in a group home at 18 Lafayette St., went to school in Wilmington one day last week but did not return to the home at the end of the day.
Wakefield detectives were working on the case and yesterday located her in Woburn at about 5:30 p.m.
She was returned to the home without incident.
Police went to the scene of an accident on Main Street in the area of Lake Quannapowitt yesterday morning at 10:15.
Police said the cars involved were a 2002 Toyota operated by a 52-year-old woman from North Andover and a 2007 Chrysler operated by a 65-year-old man from Reading. The accident was described as a rear-end collision when the Chrysler driver struck the rear of the Toyota. Moderate damage was noted on both vehicles. No citations were issued.
Patrol Officer Kyle Meehan handled the accident scene. The Fire Department also responded.
In other police business on Tuesday:
• A collision at the intersection of North Avenue and Rte. 128 took place at about 9 a.m. A citation was issued to one of the drivers. Details were not available.
• A vehicle was reported as disabled and stuck in a snowbank at the intersection of Nahant and Main streets at about 9:50 a.m. Police resolved the matter.
• The traffic lights at the intersection of North Avenue and Quannapowitt Parkway were reportedly not working at about 10:30 a.m. The Traffic Division of the Fire Department was notified.
• Police issued a parking ticket to a driver who overstayed his welcome on Albion Street. The incident was logged at 11:50 a.m.
• A minor collision was reported on Main Street at 2:25 p.m.
• A caller reported that a vehicle on Forest Street was blocking the roadway. The vehicle was moved at about 4 p.m.
• A past collision was reported on Main Street at about 5 p.m. Police said the accident actually took place in Melrose.
• A caller told police that someone parked a vehicle in his handicapped parking spot at 95 Audubon Rd. (Colonial Point Apartments). Police advised the caller to contact the manager of the building.
• The Department of Public Works was notified about a snow-related complaint called in by an Andrews Road resident. The DPW responded. There were no details.
• Police sent a man on his way from Emerson Street after a caller said he was parked in her driveway. The incident was logged at about 7 p.m.
• A caller reported a disturbance coming from a possible house party on Elm Street at about 9:10 p.m. The caller also said vehicles were parked along the roadway, causing a further disturbance. The vehicles were moved so traffic could flow more easily.
• A minor collision was reported at about 11:30 p.m. at the intersection of Main and Meriam streets. No citations were issued.
On Wednesday:
• A Davey Lane resident reported suspicious activity when he spotted several men exit a vehicle and walk toward a neighbor’s home. Police were unable to locate the men, believed to have fled the area in a gold sedan.