Published in the May 27, 2016 edition
MELROSE — The 2016 Melrose Memorial Day Parade, honoring our Veterans, is scheduled for Sunday, May 29.
Parade participants will arrive at 1 p.m. to line up behind Memorial Hall. The parade steps off at 1:30 p.m., at Memorial Hall on Main Street. The parade will proceed down Main Street and left onto Sylvan Street into the Wyoming Cemetery. The following is a list of streets that will be temporarily closed and the detours that have been set up by the city:
• City Hall Parking Lot will be closed from 8 a.m. through 2 p.m.
• Main Street southbound will be closed from Emerson Street to Upham Street at noon to allow lineup of parade vehicles on Main Street.
• Main Street northbound and southbound between Emerson and Upham Streets will be closed from 12:30 p.m. through 2:30 p.m. Traffic will be detoured onto Lebanon Street and Myrtle Street.
• Main Street northbound and southbound between Upham and Sylvan Streets will be closed from 1 p.m. through 2:45 p.m. Traffic will be detoured to Lebanon and Myrtle Streets.
• Main Street northbound and southbound from Sylvan Street to Banks Place will be closed from 2 to 3 p.m.
• Sylvan Street from Linwood Avenue at the Cemetery Entrance, to Main Street (both eastbound and westbound) will be closed from 1:15 to 3:30 pm.
• All side streets leading into Main Street from Lebanon Street, Dell Avenue, and Myrtle Street will be closed until approximately 3 p.m. Neighborhood access away from Main Street will be allowed.
• Parking along the west side (City Hall side) of Main Street from Emerson to Essex and Sylvan streets (Main St. to Mt. Vernon Ave.) will be prohibited from 10 a.m. to approximately 3 pm. Parking on both sides of Main Street from Upham to Sylvan Street will be prohibited from noon to 3 p.m.