WAKEFIELD — As many Wakefield residents have already heard, the Wakefield Independence Day Parade Committee, which disbanded after the 2012 parade, reformed last year with the intention of bringing back the parade in 2015.
Less than three months from July 4, the Independence Day Parade Committee would like to report on the status of its efforts.
The group has received approval from the Board of Selectmen to proceed with the parade.
Marching bands, drum corps and other entertainers have been hired, including; The Lake City High School Marching Band from Minnesota, Carolina Crown, the Connecticut Hurricanes, the Caballeros, the Jersey Surf, The Prime Time Brass, the Kevin Barry Pipes and Drums, the Fifth Massachusetts Regiment, the Marine Corps League, the New Liberty Jazz Band and Clowns of America.
The theme of the parade is “Foundation of Democracy – America’s Volunteers.” An essay contest is underway to select the Grand Marshal for the parade. Submissions will soon appear in the Wakefield Item.
The parade committee has registered with the IRS and the Commonwealth. This allows them to raise funds for the parade. They have run successful fundraisers, such as a talent show, a spaghetti dinner, the April carnival and a T shirt sale.
The committee’s historically largest fundraiser is beginning now with the mailing of letters to local businesses requesting their financial assistance. The committee also has many additional fundraisers in the next three months:
• March 24: Dockside Fundraiser; 10 percent of all meal sales benefit the parade.
• March 30*: Dockside Anniversary; $5 tickets wine and beer tasting.
• April 21: Dockside Fundraiser; 10 percent of all meal sales benefit the parade.
• April school vacation: Carnival at the Galvin Middle School.
• May 7*: Giggles Comedy Club; $25 tickets include pizza and comedy show.
• May 19: Dockside Fundraiser; 10 percent of all meal sales benefit the parade.
• June 3: Dockside Fundraiser; Magician and other special guest.
• June 12: Stars of Wakefield Talent Show; 100 percent of ticket sales benefit the parade.
*Purchase tickets in advance to reserve your spot.
These fundraisers are necessary to raise the $60,000 needed to pay for the parade.
As you can see the Independence Day Parade Committee is hard at work. If you are interested in helping in any way please come to a committee meeting. The dates and times are posted on their website at www.julyparade.org and on their Facebook site.