CREWS FROM around the area battled a three-alarm fire at Pizza Express on the West Side last night.

WAKEFIELD — A three-alarm fire last night caused extensive damage to one Albion Street business and serious smoke damage to an adjoining business. One firefighter was injured while battling the blaze.

Wakefield firefighters under the command of Captain Randy Hudson responded to a reported building fire at 191 Albion St. at approximately 9:48 p.m. Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke pouring from the Pizza Express Restaurant at that location.

Several hose lines were deployed into the restaurant as firefighters from Ladder 1 gained access to the roof of the building and found the fire starting to vent itself through the roof. Visibility was reduced to zero by the heavy smoke pouring from the building, compelling Captain Hudson to call for a second alarm at 9:58 p.m.

The second alarm brought engine companies from Melrose, Stoneham and Reading to the scene as well as a North Reading ladder truck. The fire continued to spread above the ceiling of the restaurant and inside its ductwork. Wakefield Fire Chief Michael Sullivan struck a third alarm at 10:18 p.m. for additional manpower to the scene. Engine companies from Saugus and Woburn as well as a Lynnfield ladder truck responded. Eventually the ceiling of the restaurant was completely pulled down to expose the fire. The main body of fire was knocked down by approximately 11 p.m. The last of the mutual aid companies were released from the fire scene shortly after midnight.

The Pizza Express restaurant was heavily damaged by the fire and will remain closed for an extended period until repairs can be completed. The adjoining 7-Eleven convenience store sustained considerable smoke damage and will remain closed until cleared to open by the Wakefield Board of Health. A fire wall between the two businesses held up during the fire, preventing its extension into 7-Eleven store.

One firefighter sustained a knee injury during the fire and was transported to Melrose-Wakefield Hospital by Cataldo Ambulance for follow-up care. Fire damage was estimated to be in excess of $100,000.

Troopers from the State Fire Marshal’s Office were contacted to determine the cause of the fire, which remains under investigation. Chief Sullivan said that arson is not suspected.

The Wakefield chief praised the efforts of the responding firefighters, stating “they worked hard under difficult conditions and kept a serious fire from extending to surrounding structures.” Firefighters kept a close watch on the property for the remainder of the night. A Malden engine and ladder company as well as a Wilmington engine covered Wakefield Fire Headquarters during the incident.