WAKEFIELD — A 33-year-old man from Wellesley who allegedly was heading north in a southbound lane on Rte. 128 near Exit 39 early this morning was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, resulting in serious bodily injury and negligent operation of a motor vehicle, said State Trooper Reid Bagley from the State Police Office of Media Relations.

Police units from Revere, Andover, Danvers and Wakefield and the Wakefield Fire Department were dispatched to the scene of the three-car accident at 1:20 a.m. following a report about the incident at the North Avenue exit.

Police determined that Jeremy Shaffer, 33, Washington St., Wellesley had driven onto the highway heading in the wrong direction in a 2004 Honda CRV and allegedly slammed into a 2010 Nissan Rogue operated by a 53-year-old woman from Danvers and a 2012 Toyota Camry operated by a 26-year-old woman from Lowell. A 33-year-old woman from Lynn also was inside the Camry, said Bagley.

All three women were taken to Lahey Clinic in Burlington for treatment of what Bagley said were non-life threatening injuries. Shaffer was not transported but was arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol resulting in serious bodily injury and negligent operation of a motor vehicle.

He was arraigned in Malden District Court today.

Details leading up to the crash are currently under investigation, said Bagley.


An 18-year-old man from Stoneham was arrested last night following a call about suspicious activity on Quannapowitt Parkway.

Police said that Korin O’Neil, 18, 6 Linden St., Stoneham was driving a dark-colored 2008 Infiniti on Quannapowitt Parkway while flashing his headlights. A caller reported the incident as suspicious activity, and Patrol Officer Shane Pelletier responded to check the area at about 11 p.m.

Pelletier located O’Neil driving on Quannapowitt Parkway and determined that he had damaged an area of lawn in the vicinity.

Pelletier arrested O’Neil on charges of trespassing and destruction of property.

He was arraigned in Malden District Court today.


Another fraudulent incident involving income tax filings with the Internal Revenue Service was reported yesterday morning just after 8 a.m.


In other police business on Thursday:

• Police called a tow company to remove a car that was stuck on the MBTA railway tracks at the intersection of North Avenue and Prospect Street. One person was taken to Melrose-Wakefield Hospital for treatment of an injury. The incident was logged at about 8:45 a.m. The Fire Department also responded.

• A caller from Bay State Road notified police that a rabbit had been struck by a passing vehicle. The incident was logged at 11:30 a.m.

• A caller from Bartley Street reported suspicious activity when she noticed that a driver in a black car with dark tinted windows was following her around her neighborhood. She told police that the driver had not approached but that her vehicle recently had been broken into and she was uncertain whether the two incidents may have been related.

• A Tylers Lane resident reported that unleashed dogs were roaming in neighboring backyards. The incident was logged at 4:10 p.m.

• A trespassing incident on Mansion Road was reported at about 6:30 p.m. Police sent several youths on their way.

• A caller told police that the driver of a vehicle appeared to be following her after a tailgating incident on Rte. 128 north just before 5 p.m. She said the driver was taking pictures of her car. No action was taken.

• A two-car collision at the Rte. 129 rotary was reported at 5:50 p.m. One of the drivers was given a citation.

• A neighbor dispute on Myrtle Avenue was reported at 6:05 p.m. Police helped resolve the matter.

• A Wakefield man will soon be summonsed to court on a charge of unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, police said. The man was stopped at the intersection of Broadway and Albion Street at about 9:15 p.m.

• A disturbance on Bennett Street was reported at about 10:30 p.m. Police resolved the matter.


The Fire Department responded to 11 calls yesterday, five for medical aid.

A crew went to 7 White Ave. at 11 a.m. following a report of arcing wires. Firefighters determined that the problem was coming from an electrical outlet.

Firefighters also went to 950 Main St. at 11:20 a.m. for a fire alarm set off by workers testing a system.

A crew went to 6 Longbow Rd. at 3:50 p.m. for a carbon monoxide detector malfunction.