WAKEFIELD — Police said they responded to a variety of calls over the weekend. One call concerned a traffic signal pole at the intersection of Main and Water streets that sustained $3,000 in damage when the driver of a tractor trailer truck reportedly hit it.

Firefighters from the Fire Department reported the incident just after 11 a.m. Friday. The driver of a tractor trailer truck reportedly went through the intersection at Main and Water streets and after striking the pole left the area. Police said the pole was knocked off its base on impact.

Patrol Officer Matthew Surette contacted officials at the truck company, Werner H. Trucking. The amount of damage was about $3,000, said police.


Two more people in Wakefield reported that someone unknown to them filed fraudulent tax returns using their names and Social Security numbers.

A man from Holland Road reported the first incident to Patrol Officer Cliff Perry at about 2:30 p.m. Friday. The second incident was reported Saturday night at 9:30 by a couple on Kendrick Road. Police plan to follow up with the Internal Revenue Service.


Police arrested Stephen Wallace Bernstein, 23, 13 South Main St., Topsfield at 10:30 p.m. Friday on a charge of possession of a Class A drug (heroin). Patrol Officer Shane Pelletier was at a Montrose gas station when he noticed that Bernstein was standing next to a brown Ford Explorer near a gas pump but he was not buying gas. Pelletier then noticed a hypodermic needle in Bernstein’s hand and, after questioning, he found a small bag inside the Explorer containing what was believed to be heroin.

Bernstein was arrested for possession of a Class A drug and was arraigned today in Malden District Court.


In other police business over the weekend, beginning Friday:

• A caller reported that a turkey had been struck and was in the roadway on Main Street. Animal Control Officer Ken Stache was notified.

• Police notified the Department of Public Works about a street sign that was down at the intersection of New Salem and Salem streets. The incident was logged at about 11 a.m.

• The MBTA railway gates were stuck in the down position at the intersection of Albion Street and North Avenue just after 11 a.m.

• A minor collision was reported at the intersection of Albion and Foundry streets at 12:15 p.m. The drivers were gone on arrival of police.

• An abandoned silver car was reportedly on Greenwood Avenue just after 6:30 p.m. The vehicle had a flat tire. Police attempted to contact the owner.

• A disturbance on Bennett Street was reported at about 10:45 p.m.


On Saturday:

• A caller reported that her older black cat with white paws was lost. Animal Control Officer Ken Stache was notified at about 11 a.m.

• A minor collision at the intersection of Water Street and Columbia Road was reported just before 1 p.m. Papers were exchanged.

• The owner of a 2003 Honda Pilot told police that his license plate was either lost or stolen while he was in Wakefield visiting a friend. The vehicle was on Otis Street when the incident may have occurred. The call was logged at about 4:20 p.m.

• Suspicious activity on Sweetser Street was reported at 4:30 p.m.

• Graffiti on equipment at the J.J. Round Playground on Main Street was reported at about 4:45 p.m.

• A woman who rents an apartment on Park Avenue called police at about 5 p.m. when she thought someone had broken into the home downstairs. She said a dog was barking and the dog was usually quiet. Police looked into the matter but did not find any evidence of a break-in.

• Suspicious activity on Butternut Road was logged just before 7 p.m.

• A complaint about a loud party on Hamilton Road was logged at 10:30 p.m. Police resolved the matter.


On Sunday:

• A disturbance on Salem Street was reported at 2:20 p.m.

• A trespassing incident on Green Street was reported at about 7 p.m.


The Fire Department responded to 35 calls over the weekend, 25 for medical aid.

On Friday at noon, firefighters went to 26 Lake St. for a house lockout, 60 Gould St. at 3:40 p.m. for arcing wires and 17 Water St. at 6:30 p.m. for a fire alarm set off by workers.

On Saturday, a crew went to 301 North Ave. at 8:15 a.m. for a fire alarm set off by dust.

On Sunday, firefighters went to 20 Bonair Ave. at 6 a.m. for a fire alarm system malfunction and 47 Stark Ave. at 10 a.m. for a house lockout. Firefighters also assisted with removing handcuffs from a prisoner yesterday afternoon at the Police Station when a key got stuck in the lock. A crew also went to 450 Lowell St. at 5:45 p.m. for a fire alarm set off by cooking and 64 Whittier Rd. at 9:15 p.m. for a carbon monoxide detector malfunction.

Today, firefighters when to 142 Lowell St. at 7 a.m. for a car lockout.


Fire Chief Michael Sullivan said that a cell phone was found and turned in at the ticket booth at the carnival over the weekend. Sullivan said he plans to give the phone to police for safekeeping until the owner claims it.