Published in the March 25, 2016 edition

MELROSE — A 19 year old Bellevue Avenue resident will head to court after allegedly egging a house near the corner of Beech and Whitman Avenue last week.

Police said high school-aged youth have been caught up in something of an egging duel with each other recently, vandalizing homes and apparently vehicles too.

Police said the 19 year old was charged Monday, March 14, around 12:20 p.m. following an investigation. A vehicle at the victim’s home was also found to have spraypaint on it.

The suspect will be charged with malicious destruction of property under $250.

On Friday, March 18, police were called to a potential road rage incident just before 10 a.m. at the corner of Main and Crystal streets. A person at the scene told officers that several youths had run away, possibly getting into a van-type vehicle in the process. That person apparently had chased the youths after they reportedly had egged his house as well.

On Saturday, March 19, police were told eggs had been thrown at a Marmion Road home. The vandalism was discovered around 9:30 a.m,.


On Tuesday, March 15, a Stone Place resident reported to police around 11:45 a.m. that a past incident was apparently coming back to haunt him.

According to police, the resident said that while living in another community last year, his wallet was either lost or stolen. At some point, someone used his Bank of America card to make about $10,000 worth of unauthorized charges. Police told the man he should deal with the department in the community he was living in at the time.


Roommates in a home on Circuit Street who received an eviction notice reportedly got into an argument that turned physical Wednesday, March 16, around 8 p.m. Police got them to agree to stay away from each other.


An Adams Street man reported the them of his red 1998 Jeep Cherokee from his residentce on March 18 around 6:25 a.m.

When police put the vehicle into their system, they found that it had been recovered in Swampscott after being involved in a police chase in that town.

The victim told local officers he parked the Jeep at his house around 1 a.m. and sometime between 5:30 and 6:15 a.m., he learned the vehicle had been stolen.


A Melrose High student told police around 12:30 p.m. March 18 that while in gym class, $30 and some MarketBasket gift stubs he sold for the school band had been stolen. They were in his wallet, which he apparently had in a gym locker.


At 3 p.m. on March 18, police were told of some sort of altercation between two 12 year olds at the Veterans Memorial Middle School that occurred after classes let out for the day.


A Franklin Street resident told police he was a victim of fraud March 18 around 7:30 p.m.


On Sunday, March 20, a Ridgewood Lane resident reported that his Volkswagen had been entered sometime before 4:46 a.m. and a $50 knife and a $1,500 MacBook Air laptop had been stolen.


Following is a sample of other calls police answered between Monday, March 14, and Sunday, March 20.


• Officers who earlier had recovered a bicycle delivered it to the Salvation Army in Saugus around 2 p.m. after no one came to reclaim it after a certain period of time.

• At 3:15 p.m., someone at the Mobil gas station at the corner of Main and Grove streets reported that an ATM card skimming device had been placed on one of the pumps. Police said there was no evidence any pumps had been tampered with.

• Police could not locate a man reportedly lying on the ground dressed in black near the Elmhurst Nursing Home on Main Street around 6 p.m. At the time, the weather was freezing rain.


• A Thurston Road resident reported being the victim of check fraud around 10:15 a.m.

• Police were told that a vehicle parked on Berwick Street had been parked for two days with its trunk left open. An officer responded, closed the trunk and reported no signs of foul play.

• A man was concerned around 1:45 p.m. that shopping carts were being left on Ryder Avenue by youths as some sort of joke. Police said they would keep an eye on the area.

• A citizen reportedly passed out and lying against a wall at Marty’s Furniture around 7:10 p.m. was taken to the hospital.


• A Franklin Street resident reported fraudulent charges on a credit card account around 3:15 p.m.


• A 37 year old Scituate resident will be summonsed to court for leaving the scene of property damage following an accident at a Tremont Street business sometime around 2:15 p.m.

• An electrical transformer exploded at the intersection of Mendum and Orris streets around 4:35 p.m.

• A loud group at the Steele House on Nason Drive was moved on its way by police around 9 p.m.


• Police went to a Lincoln Street home around 2:40 a.m. after being told of a possible drug overdose. The victim was taken to the hospital.

• A taxi driver turned in a wallet he found in his vehicle around 4 a.m.

• A woman reportedly passed out on a porch on Ashland Street around 2 p.m. was taken to the hospital.

• A large house party was reported on Leonard Road around 9 p.m. Cars were blocking the road, police were told. The vehicles were moved, and the party wrapped up for the night after police responded, they said.


• A loose dog was reported in a park on Pleasant Street around 12:30 p.m.


• An Essex Street resident called police around 12:05 a.m. expressing some concern about packages left in the front vestibule of his apartment building. Police determined the packages were gymnastics medals.

• A Nordic Way resident told police her security cameras had recorded two men trying to break into her house. The men apparently were seen on video looking through front windows before jumping a fence on the property. They then began looking into rear windows of the home. Police determined the men were in fact two youths who had kicked a ball into a neighboring yard and were looking to get it back.