WAKEFIELD — No one was injured, but a propane leak early this morning at Northeast Metro Tech on Hemlock Road kept students out of the building and was expected to result in school being dismissed for the day to allow crews to isolate the source of the leak.
A school maintenance worker called the Wakefield Fire Department at about 7:10 this morning to report an odor of propane in the building. The odor was originally reported in the HVAC room, but arriving firefighters detected the odor in the metal shop.
According to Fire Chief Michael Sullivan, there is no natural gas feeding the school, and any gas powered equipment is fueled by multiple large propane tanks on the site. When the source of the leak could not be located immediately, the Fire Department shut down all gas to the school and vented the metal shop.
Meanwhile, students arriving for school were kept outside and were eventually evacuated to the Shaun F. Beasley Track and Field behind Wakefield Memorial High School.
Although the propane had been shut down and there was no danger, Sullivan anticipated that school would be dismissed for the day as there was no ability to use cooking equipment and no hot water in the building.
The Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department was on hand this morning working to assist a private contractor to isolate and repair the leak.
In other public safety news, a Beebe Lane woman contacted police at about 12:30 p.m. yesterday to report that her house had been broken into. The woman told police that on Tuesday she had been out of the house for several hours. When she returned, she noticed items missing inside and outside the house, including some scrap metal that was outside. She told police that she believed that an acquaintance of hers may be responsible.
The resident reported that while she was out, she had observed a truck owned by the acquaintance in Melrose. There was scrap metal in the bed of the truck, she told police.
The matter is under police investigation.
At about 9 a.m. yesterday, police were called to the parking garage on Foundry Street after a car entering the garage hit two parked vehicles. According to police a 2012 Honda CRV driven by a Somerville man was entering the garage and struck a parked 2016 Chevy Silverado and a 2012 Subaru Impreza. No injuries were reported.