Published in the February 10, 2017 edition

MELROSE — A bus taking children to the Mystic Valley Regional Charter School in Malden Wednesday morning, Feb. 8, was unable to stop because of an icy roadway and slammed into the side another vehicle at the corner of Youle and Vinton streets.

Five people complained of injuries. Emergency medical crews took three people to the hospital; two from the bus went to Winchester Hospital and the driver of the passenger sedan was taken to Melrose-Wakefield.

According to Police Chief Mike Lyle, his men were called about 7:35 a.m. regarding the accident. The bus, which holds 40 kids, was not at capacity, Lyle said.

Apparently, the bus was traveling east on Youle when the operator simply could not stop as he came to the intersection with Vinton, where it collided with the single-occupant, northbound passenger vehicle.

This was one of about two dozen accidents on Wednesday morning around the city, all caused because of black ice.

Three police officers also were injured in ice-related incidents.

“(The snow to rain) changed over dramatically and froze on contact with the street and cars,” Lyle explained. He also noted that all injuries reported in the accidents were minor in nature.


On Wednesday, Feb. 1, police went to Hunt’s Photo and Video around 1:40 p.m. after signs were discovered that someone tried to break into the Main Street business from the roof.

According to police, part of the metal roof had been cut back and a bag containing metal cutting tools was located nearby.

There was no evidence of any entry into the building.

Police continued their investigation.


On Friday, Feb. 3, police went to the intersection of Warwick Road and Perkins Street after being told a man had been knocked out during an altercation. Police responded around 8:50 p.m. and found a woman tending to a man who had been in a fight with a bald, bearded, heavy set white man.

The victim and suspect had been in separate vehicles.

The victim was placed in protective custody.


On Saturday, Feb. 4, police took a 33 year Boston man to the hospital after he was allegedly sitting in the Dunkin’ Donuts on Main Street yelling profanities at pounding a glass window with his fists.

Police said he man appeared to be under the influence of something. Their suspicions were further heightened when they found syringes and a clear liquid substance on his person.

The call was logged at 6:27 p.m.