FOLLOWING release from under his silver 2003 Cadillac, an 82-year-old Reading man was med-flighted from Veterans’ Field to a Boston Hospital for treatment of injuries to his legs. (Gail Lowe Photo)

FOLLOWING release from under his silver 2003 Cadillac, an 82-year-old Reading man was med-flighted from Veterans’ Field to a Boston Hospital for treatment of injuries to his legs.
(Gail Lowe Photo)

WAKEFIELD — A Reading man in his 80s got trapped under his silver 2003 Cadillac sedan while he was possibly checking a front tire at the Quick and Clean Car Wash, 590 Main St. yesterday afternoon. The entrapment resulted in injuries to the lower portion of the man’s left leg and within 15 minutes he was med-flighted to Tufts Medical Center in Boston for treatment. He also suffered lacerations to his face and hands but none of his injuries were life threatening, said Fire Chief Michael Sullivan.

Chief Sullivan said that following numerous 911 calls to his department and the Police Department at around 2:30 p.m., fire and police crew members, along with Action Ambulance, rushed to the Main Street car wash and found a front tire on top of the 84-year-old man’s leg. Air bags were used to raise the vehicle to free the victim, said Sullivan.

Police said the man was in the parking lot of the car wash and exited his vehicle to possibly check a tire, without realizing he had not fully engaged in “park.” The vehicle then started rolling back, pinning the man’s left leg under the front wheel of the vehicle.

First responders, including crews from the Police Department, Fire Department and Action Ambulance, worked to free the man and, on release, he was taken immediately to Veterans’ Field at the intersection of North Avenue and Church Street where a helicopter was waiting to fly him to Tufts Medical Center.

The Fire Department effort was led by Captain Richard Smith. Crew members included Lt. Philip Preston and Firefighters Russell Ricker and Christopher Sullivan. Also, Lt. Joseph Albert and Firefighter Gary Hill. Engine 2 was manned by Acting Lt. John Hurley and Firefighters Darren Stead and Christopher Curran. Ken Lyons was dispatcher. Apparatus included Engine 1, Ladder 1 and Car 2.

“This was a great effort by all three departments,” said Sullivan. “Fire, police and Action Ambulance medics all did a good job of helping the victim.” The scene was cleared by 3 p.m., he added.

Police are continuing to investigate details of what led to the accident.

The victim’s condition was not known today.


A Belmont Road homeowner called police at about 5 p.m. after returning home and finding that drawers in the master bedroom had been ransacked. Jewelry with a value of about $1,500 was stolen during the break.

When police arrived, they found that several drawers in a bureau had been displaced. In addition to the stolen jewelry, which included several necklaces and various other pieces, a jewelry tree valued at $250 and pillow case, possibly used to carry the jewelry, were also missing.

Detectives were called in to process the scene of the crime. During questioning, the homeowners told police they had left the doors and windows locked when they left their house at 7 a.m., but police found no signs of forced entry. When the couple arrived home at about 4 p.m., they found that the home had been broken into.

Detectives have now launched an investigation.


In other police business on Monday:

• A collision on Water Street near Farm Street was reported at 8:05 a.m. Police said the accident was minor.

• A woman went to the Police Station just before 9 a.m. to report that following an attempt to file her taxes, she received word from the Internal Revenue Service that they had already been filed. Police are looking into the matter. Patrol Officer Shawn Conway handled the call.

• A collision on Bateman Street was reported at about 5:20 p.m. after a driver struck the guard rail at the intersection of Birch Hill Avenue and Nahant Street. Police later received a call from someone who reported that the guard rail was sticking out, causing a traffic hazard. The Department of Public Works was notified.

• Police resolved a matter concerning an unleashed white pit bull walking around Lake Quannapowitt with its owner.

The Fire Department responded 12 calls yesterday, including the call to help free the man from under his car while at the car wash on Main Street. Five calls were for medical aid.

A crew went to 58 Cordis St. at 11:10 a.m. for a house lockout, 100 Quannapowitt Pkwy. at 11:40 a.m. for a fire alarm caused by burned popcorn, 38 Woodbury Rd. at 12:45 p.m. for a fire alarm set off by burned food, 100 Hemlock Rd. (Northeast Metropolitan Regional Vocational School) for a leaking gas tank and 248 Albion St. at 4:48 p.m. for a small mulch fire.