Published in the August 25, 2017 edition.

WAKEFIELD — Local police were among those who responded to a serious accident on Route 128 north yesterday morning, and eventually helped apprehend the woman who allegedly caused it as she tried to drive away.

Officers John Whaley and Gerald Holleran went to the accident scene around 9:45 a.m. At the Route 129 exit, one of the officers and a state trooper noticed a Saab in the high speed lane attempting to flee. The tires had been damaged and other motorists were outside their vehicles yelling that she had hit several cars and was trying to get away. The woman driver, later identified as 50-year-old Lynn DeWolfe of Tyngsborough, was apprehended.

Police say she was driving under the influence of narcotics when she caused a crash that killed a motorcyclist. DeWolfe faces charges including operating under the influence of drugs and leaving the scene of a crash.

An account from police says DeWolfe was driving erratically on Route 128 northbound in Reading Thursday near Exit 38 when she struck another car that collided with a motorcycle.

The man driving the motorcycle was thrown from the bike. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. His name has not been released.

Police say DeWolfe kept driving north on Route 128 and was involved in other crashes before being stopped by police at the 129 Rotary exit.


A four vehicle chain reaction accident was reported on Main Street in Greenwood yesterday around 12:35 p.m.

According to police a local woman was driving a 2007 Honda in the area of 1014 Main St. when she allegedly rear ended a 2003 Toyota, which went into a 2006 Jeep Cherokee, which went into a 2012 Hyundai Accent. Police said no citations were issued.


Police continue to investigate an alleged road rage incident on Foundry Street near the intersection of Broadway just before 1 p.m. yesterday. An initial report had the driver of a 2005 Ford Ranger angered that another driver forced him over to the side of the road, where he hit a curb and go a flat tire.

That driver was reportedly outside his vehicle holding a tire iron and the other motorist was still there, but soon drove away.


The driver of a 2015 Kia Sport suffered minor injuries after a rollover accident on Forest Street yesterday around 2:20 p.m.

Police said the Kia was headed west on Forest Street when it swerved to avoid a vehicle heading in the opposite direction. The Kia went off the road, struck a fire hydrant in the area of 57 Forest St., and rolled over.

The driver was taken to Melrose-Wakefield Hospital.


Two motorcycles collided while traveling side by side on Oak Street yesterday around 4:15 p.m.

Police said motorcyclists riding north on Oak Street apparently were confused about which direction to head when they reached the Green Street intersection. A 2015 Harley-Davidson and a 2013 Victory collided, and the driver of the Victory was taken to Mass. General Hospital with a leg injury.


Around 4:25 p.m., the driver of a 2011 Toyota Highlander was cited for a stop sign violation following an accident at the intersection of Hart and Melvin streets.

Police said the Highlander was operating east on Hart Street when it went into a 2003 Chevrolet Avalance traveling with the right of way north on Melvin Street.


Following are examples of other calls answered by police:

Yesterday at 8:47 a.m. a small brown dog with no identifying tags was found on Madison Avenue. The Animal Control Officer was notified.

At 9:13 a.m. yesterday police went to the intersection of Lowell Street and Quannapowitt Parkway to deal with a motor vehicle accident. No injuries were reported.

Wires were down yesterday at the corner of Eustis Avenue and Goodwin Street around 11:05 a.m.

A concerned citizen reported around 5:10 p.m. yesterday that a person holding a kitten was talking to children at the Spaulding Street playground.

At 5:17 p.m. yesterday someone was walking near the Common wearing only underwear and socks. That person was taken to Melrose-Wakefield Hospital.

Youths were reportedly entering the abandoned Winship mansion on Mansion Road around 6:10 p.m. yesterday. Police were unable to locate anyone when they responded.

Early today, a cab driver requested help around 1:10 a.m. with an “extremely intoxicated” customer on Woodcrest Drive who was not responding but was breathing. The customer was staying with someone who lives on the street and took custody of him.

At 2:02 this morning, someone came to the police station to express concern for his intoxicated friend who took off on foot somewhere in the Union Street area. That man was found and taken to Melrose-Wakefield Hospital.