Published in the April 22, 2016 edition

MELROSE — Three juveniles, one from Saugus and two from Melrose, will be summonsed to court for breaking into and making themselves at home inside a Lynde Street garage sometime before 9:15 Sunday night, April 17.

The youths — ages 13, 14 and 15 — will be charged with various offenses, such as unarmed burglary, larceny under $250 and misdemeanor breaking and entering.

According to police, the owner arrived home around 9:15 p.m. and found that people had entered the garage, which apparently also had a flat screen TV inside. There was evidence that those who broken in had eaten pizza, consumed beer that was in the garage and apparently took items from a safe.

Police investigated and various clues and tips led to the three youths.


On Thursday, April 14, a real estate agent reported a potential scam attempt. The agent was having an open house on Mount Hood Terrace. Eventually, around 1:25 p.m., a couple of people showed up and said they had made a deposit on Craigs List to rent the house the realtor was showing.

If they weren’t going to be able to rent the home, they said, they wanted their money back.

The matter was referred to police, who said either the people were scammed or they were looking to scam the realtor.


The DPW and a school custodian were notified Friday, April 15, after a broken window was found on the second floor by the third math hallway at Melrose High around 2:40 p.m.


A Cumner Avenue resident reported being the victim of identity theft April 15 around 6:15 p.m. Police said the victim had filed taxes with the Internal Revenue Service only to be told someone had already filed in his name, using his personal identification information.


Roommates living in the 500 block of Main Street will be summonsed to court after getting into an argument that turned physical around 10 a.m. Saturday, April 16.

Both 41 year olds, the man and woman apparently had been arguing when one of them confronted the other in the kitchen. At issue was one of the roommates being ordered out of the apartment by the other.

After interviewing both, police set up a hearing before a court clerk magistrate.


Following is a sample of other calls police answered between Monday, April 11, and Sunday, April 17.


• A loose Australian shepherd was seen on Ferdinand Street around 12:20 a.m. The animal was wearing a collar but no tags, police said. A message was left with the Animal Control Department.

• A blown transformer caused a power outage in the First Street area around 6:30 a.m.

• Police helped firefighters deal with a lockout on Orient Avenue around 8:15 a.m.

• Police investigated the past break into a motor vehicle on Stone Place around 8:50 a.m.

• A man and woman deemed suspicious were seen smoking and walking around motor vehicles on Washington Street around 11:15 a.m. Police could not locate them.

• A motor vehicle became disabled at the intersection of Maple and Vinton streets around 2:50 p.m. after one of its wheels fell off.

• A strong odor of natural gas was detected in the Warren-Melrose streets area around 7:45 p.m. Firefighters notified National Grid representatives.

• A 34 year old Boston man apparently threatened a Hurd Street resident around 8 p.m. He will be summonsed to court for threatening to commit a crime, intimidating a witness and assault and battery. The Weekly News does not publish the names of those police say they plan to summonse to court.


• Police assisted security personnel at the Melrose-Wakefield Hospital at 10:47 a.m. and again at 11:13 a.m. after patients became troublesome.

• A scam was reported by a resident of Argyle Street around 4:15 p.m.

• Identity theft was reported by a Howard Street resident around 4:30 p.m.


• Police investigated a motor vehicle accident at the corner of Brazil and Washington streets around 8:05 a.m.

• At 10:30 a.m. officers checked out a motor vehicle parked at the Cedar Park MBTA station for the past three days and put a 72-hour notice on it.

• A truck reportedly knocked down a Stop sign at the entrance to TD Bank on West Foster Street just before noon.

• Youths on the railroad tracks off West Wyoming Avenue were told to stay off of them around 12:30 p.m.

• A motor vehicle was disabled on Main Street in Hospital Square around 1:20 p.m.

• An iPod found somewhere on Main Street around 2 p.m. was eventually returned to its owner.

• Identity fraud was reported by a Circuit Street resident around 3:40 p.m.


• Leaking motor oil was cleaned up on Carlida Road sometime after 8:53 a.m.

• A citizen reported seeing a coyote on Apple Hill Road around 12:50 p.m.

• Police said employees of Weed Man had properly checked in at headquarters in order to solicit business from residents around 4:40 p.m.

• A Granite Street resident reported a sink hole in their backyard around 5:20 p.m. The DPW was called in to check out the situation.

• An Ashland Street resident reported harrassment over parking issues around 6 p.m.

• Striking Verizon workers interacting with people hired to do their jobs created a potentially dangerous situation on Clifford Street around 8 p.m. Police said the situation resolved itself.


• A past break into a motor vehicle was reported on Island Hill Avenue around 9:50 a.m.

• A sink hole was reported in front of a home on East Emerson Street around 4:20 p.m.

• A red Ford Mustang was reportedly speeding on Whitman Avenue around 5:20 p.m.

• Police received several calls about youths running through backyards of homes of Forest Street around 9:50 p.m. Police said they found the group and sent it on its way.

• At 10:30 p.m. a group of youths reported on Mount Vernon Street could not be located.

• Just before 11 p.m. a loud group of people in Washington Park at the corner of Malvern and Lebanon streets apparently left the area.


• A past car break was reported on Upham Street around 7:20 a.m.

• A resident became concerned about parking for spring soccer games on Greenleaf Place around 11:15 p.m.

• Police were told around 1:40 p.m. that a group of teens walking in the Laurel Street-Cricklewood Lane area may have been driving beer. Police stopped the group and found no beer. The youths were retrieving a lost golf ball at Mount Hood.

• Police were unable to locate a man possibly exposing himself at the Porter Street-Bellevue Avenue intersection around 7:20 p.m.

• At 9:09 p.m. police were told of a loud group in the area of Franklin Street at Greenwood Street. At 9:29 p.m. police were called and told of a large group of youths running through yards near the intersection of Green Street and Howard Street. At 9:35 p.m. police were told of a fight in progress at Green and Howard streets.


• Police had to go to a Ledge Street home twice between 2:09 a.m. and 2:38 a.m. after receiving noise complaints.

• Tensions between striking Verizon workers and those doing their jobs were reported on Melrose Street around 10:30 a.m.